- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Recap
- 3 Cast
- 4 Transcript
- 4.1 The Martians bond
- 4.2 Earth plans a preemptive strike
- 4.3 The Agatha King picks up a distress signal
- 4.4 Katoa shows off
- 4.5 Amos patches Prax up
- 4.6 Avasarala speaks to James
- 4.7 Nguyen interrogates Cotyar
- 4.8 Sec-Gen Gillis looks for sacred justification
- 4.9 Jules-Pierre meets Mei
- 4.10 The Roci's new crew gets settled in
- 4.11 Everyone gets on the same page
- 4.12 Legacy
- 4.13 Admiral Souther speaks to Cotyar
- 4.14 First Strike
- 4.15 Wavering in the face of consequence
- 5 Media
- 6 Notes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Cast credits on-screen
- 9 References
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Recap[edit | edit source]
On Earth, Gillis and Errinwright discuss if they should take preemptive strikes against the five MCRN stealth retaliatory stations that could launch nuclear destruction down upon Earth. Gillis is not convinced this is the best course of action so, giving himself more time to consider, he postpones his decision of a preemptive strike until all five bases are identified.
On the UNN Agatha King, Admiral Souther, having received orders to pick up a drop ship, receives further orders from Fleet Admiral Nguyễn that the inhabitants of the drop ship are to be considered prisoners, no one is to question them and provides co-ordinates for a rendez-vous.
On the drop ship that escaped from Guanshiyin, Cotyar and Theo, the tech, receive notice they are to be rescued by the Agatha King. Theo, who is unclear what he should say to the captors, asks Cotyar for guidance. Cotyar misdirects Theo's attention away from himself so he can strangle/break Theo’s neck, understanding Theo would be quick to tell his captors the entire story.
On Io, Jules-Pierre Mao watches the children play and sees a picture of his daughter, Julie, transformed by the protomolecule. Katoa shows Mei his glowing blue arm and shows off his ability to climb. on the Roci, while taking out Prax's staples, Burton talks about his background.
Kamal sees Nagata looking up Tycho Station on the maps of the Razorback as she is fixing its comms and realizes she is tempted to leave. When Avasarala awakes, she is unsuccessful in getting Holden to agree to send a message to the Agatha King to stop the war.
When Nguyễn arrives on the Agatha King, he tells Souther that Avasarala is a traitor and was working with Mao. He interrogates Cotyar, who is in a med bay of the ship recovering, with Souther watching. Cotyar says a UNN ship fired on the Guanshiyin, that Errinwright is the traitor and lies that Avasarala is dead. Nguyễn doesn't believe Cotyar but Souther is suspicious. At the UN, Gillis and Anna argue about his speech and whether or not to strike Mars' stealth platforms. Mao meets Mei and starts to bond with her. Alex gets a message from his wife, Talissa that she's glad he's alive but his family doesn't need him anymore.
Gillis is told that all five of Mars' stealth platforms have been found but despite Errinwright's insistence they strike, Gillis holds out for better odds of taking them all out. Avasarala shares complete details the Roci crew of Mao conspiring with Errinwright and creating protomolecule hybrids from children as a weapon. Holden reveals they defeated a hybrid and Prax explains the Io is the location of the experiment, his daughter among them. Nagata reveals she gave the Belt the protomolecule which shocks Avasarala. On Io, Katoa collapses.
Souther arranges fake power outages to question Cotyar alone. Cotyar reveals the truth about Errinwright and Mao which Souther believes. Nguyễn suspects Souther's actions, reliefs him of command and orders the Agatha King to Io.
With the odds of a preemptive attack on the Mars stealth platforms maxed, Gillis gives approve. All five are destroyed one launches before being blown-up. Earth's defense's shoot down all the missiles but one, which impacts Brazil, killing two million.
On Io, Mao orders Dr. Strickland to end the experiment on the children which Strickland protests.
In the galley of the Roci, Avasarala can't reach an understanding with Nagata who knows she wants to secure a protomolecule sample for Earth. The both conclude that they won't be friends. Errinwright blames the missile launch and its destruction on Gillis' earlier order to stand down, which he relays to Anna, who is disgusted.
Cast[edit | edit source]
Main[edit | edit source]
- Steven Strait as James Holden
- Dominique Tipper as Naomi Nagata
- Cas Anvar as Alex Kamal
- Wes Chatham as Amos Burton
- Frankie Adams as Bobbie Draper
- Shohreh Aghdashloo as Chrisjen Avasarala
Guest Starring[edit | edit source]
- Terry Chen as Praxideke Meng
- Nick E. Tarabay as Cotyar Ghazi
- François Chau as Jules-Pierre Mao
- Byron Mann as Fleet Admiral Augusto Nguyễn
- Ted Atherton as Lawrence Strickland
- Jaeden Noel as Katoa Merton
- Natalie Lisinska as Lieutenant Shaffer
- Morgan Kelly as Lieutenant Mancuso
- Elizabeth Mitchell as Anna Volovodov
Co-starring[edit | edit source]
- Alex Castillo as Captain Espinoza
- Danijel Mandic as AK Guard
- David Tompa as Theo Simibelli
- Jeremy Crittenden as Medical Tech #2
- Jonathan Whittaker as Sec-Gen Gillis
- Leah Jung as Mei
- Martin Roach as Admiral Souther
- Nicole Stamp as Medical Tech
- Shawn Ahmed as Lieutenant Boyer
- Supinder Wraich as Talissa Kamal
The Martians bond[edit | edit source]
Earth plans a preemptive strike[edit | edit source]
The Agatha King picks up a distress signal[edit | edit source]
Katoa shows off[edit | edit source]
Amos patches Prax up[edit | edit source]
Avasarala speaks to James[edit | edit source]
Nguyen interrogates Cotyar[edit | edit source]
Sec-Gen Gillis looks for sacred justification[edit | edit source]
Jules-Pierre meets Mei[edit | edit source]
The Roci's new crew gets settled in[edit | edit source]
Everyone gets on the same page[edit | edit source]
Legacy[edit | edit source]
Admiral Souther speaks to Cotyar[edit | edit source]
First Strike[edit | edit source]
Wavering in the face of consequence[edit | edit source]
Media[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This was the first episode where Jeremy Benning was not the Director of Photography.
- Main cast opening credit dissolve animation was altered in this episode.
- On-screen, during the communication from him to Souther before arrival aboard Agatha King, Nguyen's first initial was given as "G." This is inconsistent with both the books and his nameplate in S2E9, Weeping Somnambulist. It should be "A."
- In the lab on Io, Jules-Pierre glances over at a monitor that flashes images of his daughter Julie infected by the protomolecule. Alongside that image, an image of a fully-infected Katoa appears; however, at the moment, Katoa's infection had not reached that level.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- MIRV is an acronym for Multiple Independently targetable Reentry Vehicle, which refers to a delivery device, such as a missile, which contains multiple warheads usually of a thermonuclear variety. The terminology is a holdover from President Ronald Reagan Strategic Defense Initiative or its more common name "The Star Wars Program".
- A pinnace is a small boat which is part of a larger ship.
Cast credits on-screen[edit | edit source]
- SyFy Press release posted on SpoilerTV April 2, 2018
"Fight or Flight" • "IFF" • "Assured Destruction" • "Reload" • "Triple Point" • "Immolation" • "Delta-V" • "It Reaches Out" • "Intransigence" • "Dandelion Sky" • "Fallen World" • "Congregation" • "Abaddon's Gate"