Miller, Holden and the rest of the crew deal with the aftermath of their narrow escape from Eros; Martian Marine Gunnery Sergeant Bobbie Draper and her platoon witness the growing tension between Earth and Mars.
At a base on Mars, gunnery sergeant Bobbie Draper and her fellow Marines undergo training, before getting orders that they're about to be deployed. Bobbie takes one last look at the crater around her, then looks at a projection of what it will look like after 100 years of terraforming.
Up on the Rocinante, Holden and Miller are still recovering from the radiation poisoning they got in the first-season finale. Holden is still having nightmares about the blue protomolecule, dreaming that it infects him and Naomi.
Down on Earth, after speaking on television and placing the blame for the Donnager attack on Fred Johnson, Chrisjen Avasarala nearly gets killed in an explosion on a transport she was about to board but, she is delayed by a phone call.
The Rocinante crew watch Dresden's video notes about the protomolecule. This it the first evidence of life from beyond the Sol system. They decide to place the protomolecule sample that they found on the Anubis onto a missile and, then, hide that missile in a debris field near a former asteroid mine, so they can get it back if needed.
On Mars, Draper and her crew get their mission: to secure Phoebe Research Station, which had been reported by the Donnager as having been attacked. Draper is loudly hoping for payback against Earth, but her commanding officer, Lieutenant Sutton, cautions her about the grave danger of a war between Mars and Earth.
On the Rocinante, Miller, finally sprung from sick bay, runs into Amos in the kitchen, and Amos thinks they ought to work out their conflicts sooner rather than later, specifically, the issue with how Amos shot and killed Miller's pal Sematimba. Amos explains his good reasons but, Miller isn't convinced, remains wrathful and punches the ship's engineer. Amos retaliates and nearly kills Miller before Naomi shows up and to intercede.
At the UN meeting, Errinwright strongly pushes to have Earth ships head off the Martian vessels that are currently mobilizing (like Draper's ship currently deployed to Phoebe). Errinwright had previously been secretly visiting with Jules-Pierre Mao at the Mao estate. Mao warns Errinwright that if he still wants the weapon Mao has been developing, he had better eliminate any evidence at Phoebe Research Station. That means not letting the Martians get there first so as to discover any clues. This explains why Errinwright so vehemently pushes for a UNN intercept of the Martian naval ship en route to Phoebe and why he proliferated the false Martian war theory. At the meeting, dissenting voices say that de-escalation is the way to go, but when a silent Chrisjen is asked, she says she concurs with Errinwright.
Convinced that she is being set up as a scapegoat by Errinwright, Chrisjen recruits an old friend of her son's, Cotyar, for her security detail and to be her spy inside the UN.
As Naomi and Holden work outside the ship to prep the rocket that will shoot the protomolecule out into an abandoned asteroid field, they go off comms to have a heart-to-heart about how freaked out Holden seems by what they saw on Eros. Upon returning to the airlock, they help each other remove their spacesuits. While in a state of undress, their passion yields to sexual congress. 
The ship that Draper and her crew are on fires their missiles (a surprise to the soldiers onboard), while back at the UN, Errinwright presses that the Earth ship, the Nathan Hale, should fire back at the Martians. Chrisjen speaks up, though, and says this sounds like saber-rattling, not an actual attack. It turns out that she's right; the Martians weren't firing on the Hale: the missiles strike and destroy Phoebe Research Station.
Figuring that the Rocinante crew needs something good, Alex has cooked them a proper lasagna dinner. One by one, they all show up and break bread and tell stories and enjoy themselves, including Amos and Miller, who seem for the time being to have put aside their mutual distrust.
Sutton explains to Draper that they didn't fire on the Nathan Hale because the Hale had them massively outgunned. Draper wonders of the mission to avoid a war with Earth isn't a backwards way of thinking; she is clearly full of contempt for Earth and eager for war.
- Thomas Jane as Josephus Miller
- Steven Strait as Jim Holden
- Cas Anvar as Alex Kamal
- Dominique Tipper as Naomi Nagata
- Wes Chatham as Amos Burton
- Frankie Adams as Bobbie Draper
- Florence Faivre as Julie Mao
- Shawn Doyle as Sadavir Errinwright
- Shohreh Aghdashloo as Chrisjen Avasarala
Guest Starring Edit
- François Chau as Jules-Pierre Mao
- Hugh Dillon as Lt. Sutton MCRN
- Byron Mann as Admiral Augusto Nguyen UNN
- Nick E. Tarabay as Cotyar
- Daniel Kash as Antony Dresden
- Kevin Hanchard as Inspector Sematimba
- Sarah Allen as Private Hillman MMC
- Mpho Koaho as Private Richard Travis MMC
- Dewshane Williams as Corporal Sa'id MMC
- Adrian G. Griffiths as Nikhil (U.N. still photo dossier)
- Alex Woods as Mesplede (Aide Without Allegiance) (video footage)
- Colin MacPherson as Captain Yvgeny
- Daniel Chaudhry as Tatted Belter (Eros refugee)
- Etan Muskat as Aide ("would-be" Soren Cottwald)
- J. Adam Brown as Haggard Belter (Eros refugee)
- Jonathan Whittaker as UN Secretary-General Esteban Sorrento-Gillis
- Martin Roach as Admiral Souther
- In the United States, this installment of the show was part of a two-episode broadcast premiere. When the broadcast was broken up into its constituent parts, apparently, some scenes were cut, such as Avasarala first meeting with the free-lance Intelligence Operative Cotyar, in the season. The cut footage appears in the video clip on Syfy's YouTube channel labeled "THE EXPANSE Season 2 Premiere 'Spy for Hire' Syfy". A smaller bit appears in the flashback scenes starting the second episode.
- If you look closely, in the scene where Avasarala was in the line of fire of the transport explosion, the Old Toronto City Hall building is just off to the left-hand side. Based on the line of sight, it seems like this scene was filmed at Toronto's new City Hall.
- Incidentally, the UN building as built in the twentieth century, and Toronto's New City Hall share the same architectural style, Modernism or the International Style.
- Cast interviews
- ↑ In a later conversation with the rest of the crew which Holden expects to be uncomfortable, he "officially" declares their relationship but the crew already figured it out. His anxious concern over the others opinion resulted in only awkwardness and mirth.
- ↑ Spy for HireFile:THE_EXPANSE_Season_2_Premiere_%27Spy_for_Hire%27_Syfy
Cast credits on-screenEdit
"Safe" • "Doors & Corners" • "Static" • "Godspeed" • "Home" • "Paradigm Shift" • "The Seventh Man" • "Pyre" • "The Weeping Somnambulist" • "Cascade" • "Here There Be Dragons" • "The Monster and the Rocket" • "Caliban's War"